Designed For The Serious Cyclist!
Tour Price - $4,189.00
12 days / 11 nights (Includes all breakfasts, 9 dinners-most with wine)
Tour Dates 2013
September 28-October 9
Bicycle Rental - Complimentary Trek bicycle, fully equipped for touring.
Single Supplement - $700.00
Arrive - Atlantis Hotel; Iraklion, Crete
Depart - Almyrida, near Hania, Crete
Cycling Level - Challenging
4500 to 7000 ft. of climbing daily.
Terrain - Hilly with challenging
The magic of Crete lies in its natural beauty – majestic, sweeping mountains and emerald-blue seas. Lyrical bells of grazing sheep and the aromas of wild herbs add to the Mediterranean magic. With its unique history, friendly people and natural beauty, Crete is indeed a land of legends and an ideal cycling destination.
We explore the old city of Heraklion with its Venetian remains and visit the Archeological Museum to see fabulous Minoan pottery and jewelry. A tour of Knossos highlights the reign of King Minos.
The “Extreme Crete” tour differs from the “Land of Zorba” tour in intensity and challenge. “Extreme” applies to challenging rides, as well as extreme exhilaration and exuberance one may experience. Climbs take riders to a new level of beauty with sparkling seas. The rugged island interior offers a unique appreciation for unspoiled regions. We take you to remote places the average tourist does not visit.
Extreme Crete is not for the faint of heart. Distances average 60 miles with climbs of 4,500 – 7,000 feet on a daily basis. Rides are on paved roads. The tour can be negotiated with either a road or hybrid bicycle.
Couples with different cycling abilities may choose either Crete trip: Extreme or Land of Zorba.
• Use of a Classic Adventures bicycle (Trek hybrid or road bike)
• A non-regimented, “cycle at your own pace itinerary” with an average of 30-50 miles per day with the option of additional or fewer miles.
• Lodging in select country inns & hotels.
• Daily breakfast & dinners (fewer dinners for some tours; see individual tour descriptions and prices).
• Free transfers and long term parking.
• Full van support.
• Detailed maps, route descriptions, and cultural information on a daily basis.
• Most commercial transportation within the country of most tours. (See daily itineraries for specific transfer information).
• Friendly and experienced multi-pngual guides.
• Expert bicycle mechanics.
• Guided tours of selected historical Destinations visited.
• Pre-departure information packet includes: tour specific info., reading pst, packing pst, training suggestions, riding tips, etc.
• Classic Adventures T-shirt.
• All bicycles come equipped with trunk bag; rear rack; water bottles; lock; pump; spare tube; odometer/computer.
Greece: Island of Crete–Extreme Bicycling
August Cosentino –
New York, NY
Day 1. Arrival in Heraklion, Crete, at Atlantis Hotel (A Class). Orientation.
Day 2. Explore Venetian ruins of Heraklion; guided tour of Knossos and Archeological Museum. Cycle to Lassithi Plateau. (37 miles)
Day 3. Descend to Malia before climb overlooking Potami River Valley and return to Lassithi Plateau. (55 miles)
Day 4. Ride from Lassithi Plateau to Ierapetra. Descent to Libyan Sea. (61 miles)
Day 5. Ierapetra to Matala. Coastal views of the Libyan Sea; climb to Ano Viannos, flanking Mt. Dikti. Ride through Plain of Messara to Matala. (77 miles)
Day 6. Matala - Kamares Valley Loop Ride. Cycle the Mt. Ida Massif. Shorter option to archeological sites of Phaestos and Gortys or a 3 hour beach walk. (30 or 63 miles)
Day 7. Matala to Spili; ride through Kourtaliotis Canyon. (62 miles)
Day 8. Loop ride through Amari Valley. (64 miles)
Day 9. Coastal ride to sea village Hora Sfakion and Agios Ioannis. (61 miles)
Day 10. Hora Sfakion to Almyrida. Climb through remote villages to crest overlooking Souda Bay. (57 miles)
Day 11. Transfer to coastal town of Sougia. Climb to Omalos Plateau; descend to Almyrida. (65 miles) Or hike the Samarian Gorge (5-6 hr. walk)
Day 12. Tour ends in Almyrida after breakfast